Sharpen the Saw: Balance Feels Best
Think of a lumberjack chopping down a tree. Eventually, his saw is going to go dull. Is it going to work as well now? What if he took it to his shop and sharpened it? Now will it work better? Sharpen the saw is all about being a well-rounded individual. It means feeling good in all four areas of your life (physically, mentally, spiritually, and socially). If you have a balanced life, you'll be more successful. You have 4 tires on your car right? What would happen if you put air in 3 of your tires, but not the 4th one? Would you have an easy time going places? You need to find ways to take care of yourself, so that you can be happy, healthy, and productive.
HOW CAN I SHARPEN THE SAW IN MY LIFE?
- Physically- play outside, exercise, stretch, join a sports team, go for a walk with your family
- Mentally - challenge yourself at school, read a non-fiction book, go to a museum with your family, study even if you don't have a test
- Socially - visit with friends, spend time with your family, play games, make new friends
WHAT BOOKS CAN HELP ME LEARN ABOUT SHARPEN THE SAW?
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
- Uncle Willie and the Soup Kitchen by DyAnne DiSalvo Ryan
- The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg