Put First Things First: Work First then Play
Put first things first means to prioritize things in your life. If you have a lot of things to do, ask yourself what is most important and do that first. A lot of time, kids come home from school, go outside to play, call their friends on the phone, play video games, eat dinner, and then try to do their homework at 8:00 at night. Their brains are usually tired at that point in the day. A better option would be to have a power snack when you get home and get started on your homework first to make sure it gets done. Then you can use the rest of your day for other activities. Adults have to prioritize when we spend money. I make sure I pay my bills, go grocery shopping, and save money before I buy new clothes or go out to dinner.
HOW CAN YOU PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST IN YOUR LIFE?
- Make a to-do list and prioritize important things. - Clean your room before you play outside. Help your mom with the dishes before you leave the kitchen after dinner.
- Do your classwork before you have free time. - Check your classwork folder to make sure you've turned in all require assignments before you play on the computer or read a book.
- Study even if you don't have a test the next day.- If you study a little each day, it's better than studying for 2 hours the night before a test.
WHAT BOOKS CAN HELP ME LEARN MORE ABOUT PUTTING FIRST THINGS FIRST?
- The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone
- Alejandro's Gift by Richard E. Albert
- Justin and the Best Biscuits in the World by Mildred Pitts Walter
- The TV Kid by Betsy Byars